Every year on MLK day we have talked about him and his life in school, and I think it's good that people keep his legacy alive, and remember the struggles that African Americans had to go through to gain some amount of equality in this country. I think America has come a long way, but I also think many people are still very racist, and that has to change.
I had never learned about the stuff we talked about in class this year though, about how he cheated on his wife with prostitutes. This doesn't really change my opinion on him though, because that's his personal life. I don't think cheating on your wife is right, but I do think that's a private matter. Who are we to care? It shouldn't undermine his achievements, because he still made his mark in history and should be remembered for that.
As for him being more radical than people may know, I don't really see what the big deal is because everyone has their own personal thoughts. I didn't think there was anything wrong with his socialist way of thinking because I don't think being socialist is bad. I don't think that takes away from his legacy either.
No comments:
Post a Comment