I am one of those people who believes that we will eventually collapse, but I have never been certain about when or what will cause the final tip of the iceberg. I have thought about a variety of ways our society can collapse: Nuclear warfare, infectious diseases, natural disasters, and more. In class however, we focused on peak oil, a concept I had never heard of before. When learning about it, I realized how helpless and dependent we all are on oil. It was disturbing to learn that because of lack of oil, we could all starve to death. Now I see why there is such an international hunt for more and more oil, and a ruthlessness pursuit to get it, no matter what the cost. Though I do not agree with it, I can defiantly understand it.
However, even after learning of this, and how likely it is, you can still never know for sure what chain of events will take place in the world, and what that might lead to. I would like to go deeper into the topic, and examine some more ways we could potentially collapse.
One thing I always think about when I think of us "collapsing" is suffering. I wonder how strong it will be, how sudden/slow, who will it affect, and how many will survive it. I wonder if it will be worth surviving. And most of all, I wonder if it will happen in my life time.
No comments:
Post a Comment