Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Walmart

I think that what happened in Long Island is something that should never have to happen. 

The one part of the story that stood out to me was a woman who came out on the news saying "I didn't feel myself stepping on him, I didn't realize there was a person underneath me, I thought it was the floor." I don't know how you can't tell the difference, so to me it seems like she's making an excuse for her own benefit, so she doesn't feel guilty or responsible. I think this says something about her priorities because she clearly still puts her needs to reassure herself before the man she helped kill. 

I would think that once people were told that the worker is dead they would feel terrible. Instead, they wanted to keep shopping. I didn't think anyone had that in them. It shows that society has been conditioned to be numb to other people's pain and to not form any kind of connection with people they don't know. 

I don't think that most people are like this, or at least I hope not. During 9/11 and the weeks right after, most people would stop to help strangers and be kind to people they had never talked to before. Being that my school was only 3 blocks away, I remember the day really well and one image that has stuck with me is the woman who was running right in front of me. She had on no shoes, and her feet were bleeding heavily. She couldn't run anymore, and the cloud of asbestos was directly behind us. A man saw her and without thought he offered to carry her. She said yes, and he ran with her in his arms for blocks and blocks, a total stranger. Had it not been for him, she wouldn't have made it. Also, many people had cars parked a block away from the towers. Almost no one went to get their cars, but rather opted to save their own life and the lives of others. 

As for the kids who were dragged into these stores, I think thats bad parenting, point blank. You do not put your child at risk like that, and I don't know what these people were thinking. As a parent, your child should be your number one priority. Products are not worth fighting for, but your kids are always worth the fight. 

No comments: