Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Food #3- Food Cultures (Home & Corporate)

The American way of food is burgers, french fries, hot dogs, pre-sliced meat and white bread. It's microwavable TV dinners and frozen pizzas. It's, for the most part, an unhealthy way of living. 

My family does not eat in this typical American way. Dinner for me is a plate of home cooked food, containing vegetables and meat or seafood, usually following ethic Greek recipes. Almost always dinner is followed by fruits of our choice. My mom usually cooks the food, except for Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, when I cook. Unfortunately, we don't really eat dinner all together because of how busy we are. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I eat dinner with my sister (at the table, although sometimes we watch TV) and on the rest of the days, my mom and my sister eat dinner together and I eat alone. The only meals we eat together are Saturday and Sunday night dinner. We sit at the table together, and talk in a casual way about how everything is going, and tell stories and laugh with each other. We don't say grace. 

When I eat alone, it takes me around 20 min. to eat, when I eat with my sister it takes me about 40 min & when I eat with my mom and sister, it takes me around 40 min as well. 

Overall, I would say that my family eats healthier than the average American, although me and my sister sometimes do watch TV while we eat, as is the American way. 

No comments: